Friday, September 11, 2009

Lunch with G-Girl

Okay, so I had lunch with Little G on Wednesday, and am just now posting about it...  But, you know, I had a job interview & stuff yesterday & well, my blog-laziness doesn't take long to kick in. 
Anyhow, for our veggie-full lunch on Wednesday I made a 'salad' I love to make during the summer, when tomatoes & basil abound.  There's no recipe...you just slice up some lovely fresh tomatoes, preferably from your own garden or local Farmer's Market.  Slice up some fresh mozzarella (I just discovered a brand at Schnuck's that I like alot, Mozarella Fresca) & layer that on top of the tomatoes.  Drizzle with some good quality balsamic vinegar & some equally good quality olive oil, salt & freshly ground pepper to taste, and some finely chopped basil leaves.  Totally easy & delicious!  I made 3 layers in a little Rubbermaid container to take for lunch Wednesday.
I also got up that morning & baked a squash pie, improvising on a recipe from Book Club Vicky.  It turned out quite tasty, although, I think I should've added a bit more flour as mine was more oily than either Vicky's or my mom's.  I will post the recipe as given by Vicky & let you know what I changed.  The one she brought to Book Club last month was great, the one my mom made using Vicky's recipe was great, and mine was great too, so winners all around!
Grace also enjoyed both items, in case you are wondering.  She did think I used too much pepper on the tomato salad.  Go figure!

Book Club Vicky's Squash Pie
2.5 to 3 cups grated squash (I think my mum & I both used zucchini, not sure about Vicky)
1 small chopped onion (since you don't saute it first I made sure it was very finely chopped)
3 beaten eggs
1/2 cup flour (being Christine, I did not actually measure the flour & just dumped some in till it 'looked about right'...I think I should've used a bit more, so maybe a good idea to measure, at least the first time round).
1 cup grated cheese (I think Vicky said she used co-jack, my mom & I used extra sharp cheddar...you really could use anything hard to semi-hard I'll bet.  I think next time I may try Swiss or Gruyere).
1/3 cup oil (I used butter...which also might've contributed to the oiliness of my pie!)
salt, pepper, and chopped fresh sage to taste

Okay, you know I added some stuff, right?  I added about 1/2 tsp dried thyme, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and a smidge of garlic powder. 

Mix all the ingredients together & put it in a pie pan that you have greased or sprayed with Pam.  Pop the pan into a preheated 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes (I think mine took about 45). 

No comments: